Luxembourg will hold the Space Resources Week from 7 to 11 October 2019 (spaceresourcesweek.lu). The week will include the Mining Space Summit, as well as a professional course and workshop about the exploration and utilisation of space resources. The events are supported by the Luxembourg Space Agency, European Space Agency (ESA), International Space University and Colorado School of Mines.
The Luxembourg Space Agency and the European Space Agency invite members of the press to the following two events:
Wednesday, 9 October: Mining Space Summit
A press conference will be organised at 10:00 CEST to provide the latest information about the increasingly vibrant dialogue around the development of the space resources utilisation (SRU) sector.
Speakers at the press conference are:
· Dr Matthias Maurer, European Space Agency, Astronaut and Material Scientist
· Dr James Carpenter, European Space Agency, Exploration Strategy Officer, Directorate of Human and Robotic Exploration
· Dr Marc Serres, Luxembourg Space Agency, Chief Executive Officer
· Dr Mathias Link, Luxembourg Space Agency, Director International Affairs / Space Resources
Members of the press are also invited to attend the plenary presentation sessions of the Mining Space Summit from 08:45–12:00 CEST , which will be opened by Luxembourg Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Economy, Etienne Schneider.
Luxexpo, The Box
Circuit de la Foire Internationale
L-1347 Luxembourg Kirchberg
Thursday, 10 October: The Moon, Gateway to the Stars
For local space fans and enthusiasts who would like to know more about the Moon and the future of space exploration, a space talk will be organised in the evening of 10 October at Kinepolis. The talks will be part of the European Space Talks and World Space Week and will be followed by a movie / documentary. Media will have the opportunity to do interviews with all spokespeople.
18:45 CEST: Welcome desk
19:00 Opening speech by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Economy, Etienne Schneider.
19:15 Panel debate with leading professionals from Europe and beyond (Moderator: Lisa Burke)
Topic: The future of space exploration and space resources
- David Parker, ESA, Director of Human and Robotic Exploration
- Matthias Maurer, ESA Astronaut and material scientist
- Gerald Sanders, NASA, Lead for In-Situ Resource Utilisation (ISRU) System Capability Leadership Team & Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate (HEOMD)
- Bertrand Baratte, Air Liquide, Director of Space Business Unit
- Angel Abbud-Madrid, Colorado School of Mines, Center for Space Resources
- Julien-Alexandre Lamamy, ispace Europe, Managing Director and VP of Europe R&D
- Marc Serres, Luxembourg Space Agency, CEO
20:15 Free movie (documentary) offered by SES: APOLLO 11 (2019) - original version with French subtitles
45 Avenue J-F Kennedy
For organisational reasons, we would like to ask the press to register.
Central contact Lynn Robbroeckx, Head of Communication, Luxembourg Space Agency. (firstname.lastname@example.org or +352 2884 8225 / +352 621 325 604)
ESA-related media enquiries via: email@example.com
Follow on Social Media / Twitter : #SpaceResWeek (and #SpaceTalks)